Nosotras Proponemos – We Propose. 8 of March, International Women’s Strike.
Women in the Argentinean art world join for equal representation and visibility in the arts
City of Buenos Aires
- Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes (MNBA) Avenida del Libertador 1473, City of Buenos Aires
The National Museum of Fine Arts will shut down the lights illuminating art works made by men, half an hour daily from 18:00-18:30, from March 2nd to March 20th. March 1st an exhibit will open showing female artists of the collection, with works by Raquel Forner, Diana Dowek, Graciela Sacco and Elba Bairon. Two works on the facade of the museum will be replaced as of March 1st by works of female artists.The declaration of NP will be distributed.
- Museo de Arte Latinoamericano de Buenos Aires (MALBA) Avenida Figueroa Alcorta 3415, City of Buenos Aires
The MALBA will put a list of over 1000 names of female artists on the facade of the museum on March 8. The next day at 19:00 on the doorsteps of the museum, a performance will be held, by contemporary argentine female artists, based upon the feminist poem by Susana Thenon entitled ‘why does this women scream?’. The declaration will be distributed.
- Museo de Artes Plásticas Eduardo Sívori Avda. Infanta Isabel 555
Lights will shine on the works made by women, selected for the Manuel Belgrando space. A special documentary will be screened illuminating these female artists.
- Centro Cultural Paco Urondo, Facultad de Filosofia y Letras de la UBA. CABA 25 de Mayo 201
On March 8th the show ‘Ten years of TAS production’ will open.
Province of Buenos Aires
- Museo Provincial de Bellas Artes Emilio Pettoruti. La Plata, Province of Buenos Aires.
In the Provincial Museum of Fine Arts in La Plata, during the opening of a new exhibit, at 19:00 on March 9th, the spots will be on the female works of art in the show – only 3 out of 24 art works. A performance will be held naming the women who have exhibited in the museum, but remained invisible in the history of art, as their presence has not even been registered. On April 20th a debate is organized on performance with feminist content.
- Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Bahía Blanca, Bahía Blanca, Province of Buenos Aires
In the Contemporary Art Museum of Bahia Blanca the names of the women in the collection will be written upon the walls of the museum. Statistics will be presented on the quantity of female and male artists.
- Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes de Neuquén, Neuquen, Patagonia.
In all the rooms of the museum of Fine Arts in Neuquen, Patagonia, only the artworks made by women will be lit on March 8. The statistics on the current state of affairs in the arts, provided by Nosotras Proponemos will be read. A film cycle on women’s rights will run throughout March. Guided tours in March will focus on the art made by women.
Province of Entre Ríos
- Museo Provincial de Bellas Artes “Pedro E. Martinez”, Paraná, Entre Ríos
In the Provincial Museum of Fine Arts in Entre Ríos, on March 8th, the light will shine on the only work of art in the permanent exhibit, which is by Emilia Bertolé. During the week, a poem by this artist will be distributed, and read aloud on March 9th. The declaration of Nosotras Proponemos will be distributed.
- Escuela de Artes Visuales de Entre Ríos , Victoria
There will be an exhibit of female artists of Victoria. The declaration will be hanging in the hallway of the school and on the facade and stickered throughout the city between March 5th and March 8th.
Province of Santa Fé
- Museo Histórico Provincial de Rosario “Dr. Julio Marc”, Rosario, Santa Fé
In Rosario, the Provincial Historic Museum, organizes a conference by Dr. Laura Malosetti Costa on “Women artists of the past, between virtue and chaos.” A lecture held in 1938 by Angel Ossorio – part of the museum’s collection – on the defense of female suffering will be screened online: www.museomarc.gov.ar. The works of female artists of the collection will be shared on the museum’s social media during the first two weeks of March. The Manifesto of NP will be distributed.
- Museo Municipal de Arte Decorativo Firma y Odilio Estevez, Rosario, Santa Fé
In the week of March 8th, the museum will shine light onto the only work of art in the exhibition “The visit – 50th anniversary”, which is by Emilia Bertole. The manifesto will be distributed.
- Centro Cultural Parque de España CCPE / AECID, Rosario, Santa Fé
The cultural Center CCPE in Rosario will participate in a world wide Wikipedia editorial focused on Art and Feminism, initiated by the Spanish Cultural Centers, to including more local women on the platform.
- Museo Castagnino+macro Sede Castagnino, Rosario, Santa Fé
From March 8th till March 11th, the museum in Santa Fe, hosting the LXXI National Salon of Rosario will illuminate the art works made by women. On March 8th there will be a special guided tour on gender violence and the unequal representation of women in museums. The LXXI National Salon of Rosario will provide audio tours with female voices.
- Monumento a la Bandera, Rosario, Santa Fé
The National Monument of the Flag in Rosario will have, as of March 7th, an intervention on the water by female artist, Nushi Muntaabski, responding to work by Argentina’s first female sculptor, Lola Mora. They are also organizing a film cycle on women and memory.
- Museo Municipal de Arte “Dr. Urbano Poggi”, Rafaela, Provincia de Santa Fé
From March 8th to 15th a list of names of women artists will be exhibited in the museum in Rafaela, Province of Santa Fe. The text of Nosotras Proponemos will be distributed and there will be a count and tell of the amount of women present in the Museum’s collection.
- Museo Municipal de Artes Visuales “Sor Josefa Díaz y Clucellas”. Museo del Teatro Municipal “1° de Mayo”. Museo de la Ciudad. Centro Experimental del Color.
Four museums of the Municipality of Sante Fe have confirmed to dedicate the coming exhibits solely to female artists and designers.
Province of San Juan
- Museo Provincial de Bellas Artes “Franklin Rawson”
The Provincial Museum of San Juan confirmed to make an exhibition on the women in the museum’s collection, and an homage to Clara Carrie, a graphic artist, who has not received the attention she should have deserved until now.
Province of Tucumán
- Museo Provincial de Bellas Artes “Timoteo Navarro”, Tucumán, San Miguel de Tucumán
From March 1st till the 11th lights will shine on the women artists, selected for the Salon of Tucuman. At the entrance of the exhibition space a screen with visuals provided by Nosotras Proponemos will be shown, as well as quotes from the Manifesto.
- Museo de la Universidad Nacional de Tucumán San Martín 1545
At the museum of the National University of Tucuman, copies of the declaration of NP will be distributed and from the 12th – 14th the 1st Feminist Film cycle will be held. There are two other exhibits by female artists.
Province of Córdoba
- Museo Municipal de Bellas Artes Genaro Pérez (Gral. Paz 33 Córdoba)
On March 8th the museum will only illuminate the works of art made by female artists. On the facade of the museum a paragraph provided by NP will be placed, saying “we propose to shine a light of female artists”. The declaration will be distributed as of the 15th of March. The show “what we do for love” will open and till the end of April, diverse activities on feminist practice in art will be discussed.
- Centro Cultural Cabildo Histórico (Independencia 30 Córdoba)
On March 8th art works made by women will be illuminated in the exhibit ‘Arte de Martes’ and the declaration will be distributed. In the exhibit Atahualpa Yupanqui, the wife of Atahualpa, Paula Nenette Pepin will be illuminated, beingng the author of his letters with a pseudonym.
- Espacio Cultural Museo de la Mujeres (Rivera Indarte 55 Córdoba)
- Museo Provincial de Bellas Artes Emilio Caraffa (Av. Poeta Lugones 411 Córdoba),
- Museum Palacio Ferryera, Av. Hipólito Yrigoyen 51
On March 8th, these museums’ facades will read: we propose to illuminate works of art by women. And the declaration of Np will be handed out.
- Museo Fernando Bonfiglioli Villa María, Córdoba
The museum will illuminate artworks made by women on March 8th. There will be a lecture cycle on the female artists in the province.
Province of Misiones
- House of Culture
- Faculty of Art and Design of the University of Misiones
- Cultural Center Vicente Cidade
- Art Gallery of the University Gaston Dachary
and more spaces.
A network of local artists has organized a series of actions in Posadas, Oberas, Montecarlo and Candelaria, such as murals, exhibitions, distribution of feminist texts, debates about feminist art, film projections about female artists, and the distribution of NP’s declaration.
Province Santiago del Estero
- Subsecretary of Culture and Turism of the city of Santiago del Estero ‘Casa Argañaraz Alcorta’, Libertad 115
On March 9th an exhibit of 55 local female artists will open at 20:30 and parts of the Nosotras proponemos declaration will be handed out and shown on banners during the opening.
Province of Mendoza
As there is a lack of artistic institutes in the province, artists without a specific gender – identity will participate with chants and graphic art in the march of March 8th, exposing an enormous list of female and transgender artists from Mendoza throughout the last generations and rebaptize the museum with those names, every 18 minutes, which stand for each 18 hours that pass until another woman has been killed in Argentina.
Province of Rioja
- Secretary of Culture of Rioja
At the local museum from March 8th till the 30th there will be an exhibit of female artists-activists named ‘Standing. There are no flowers here.’ On the 9th, 23rd and 30th there is a lecturecycle.
Province of San Luis
- Casa de la Cultura Urquiza 33, Villa Mercedes, San Luis
On March 8th from 20:00 on, the facade of the cultural center will carry the text of Nosotras proponemos, urging people to sign the the commitment proposed in the 37 declaration. The idea is to then thereafter hand over these autographs to the main assembly of women.
Provincia of Salta
- Library of Salta and other venues
Audiovisual projection, naming names of local female artists and distributing the declaration of Nosotras Proponemos.